The Equal Exchange Customer Service Department is seeking a Customer Service Representative to serve our customers in schools, congregations and faith-based organizations, and assist with serving Sales Department customers as well. We are looking for motivated candidates with strong communication and problem-solving skills, excellent attention to detail, and the ability to work well with others. Previous customer service experience preferred.
This is a full-time hourly position out of our Canton, MA office, just 1 mile from the Stoughton Target. Equal Exchange is a worker-owned cooperative and an equal opportunity employer.
1 Job Description
- *Employment Status: Full-time, regular, non-exempt position on worker-owner track
- *Hours: 40 hrs per week
- *Benefits: 100% health & dental premium coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- *Pay Range: $14.15 to $15.15 per hour depending on experience
- *Department: East Coast Customer Service
- *Report to: Community Sales Customer Service Workflow Supervisor
- *Responsible for: Community Sales order-taking and customers service tasks, program outreach, support on program systems and development, as well as service to Sales Department customers as needed
- *Ability to communicate well with program customers, team members and staff
- *Ability to effectively manage time and responsibilities
- *Ability to work well with others
- *Ability to effectively problem solve with customers, team members and staff
- *Ability to take orders effectively and accurately
- *Ability to be flexible and manage several tasks at once
- *Exceptional attention to details
- *Interest in Equal Exchange’s mission and customer education
- *Sensitivity to different faiths and religious traditions
- *Previous experience with basic word processing and database programs preferred
- *Previous experience with customer service preferred
- *Experience with or interest in working for a cooperative organization preferred
Order Fulfillment & Customer Service (approx. 85 – 90%)
- *Primary contact for congregations and faith-based customer inquiries, orders and service questions.
- *Effectively answer phones, take accurate orders and respond to questions and concerns of Equal Exchange customers, including Community Sales Program customers, cafes, natural food and other retail stores, etc.
- *Communicate mission of Equal Exchange and Community Sales Program partners.
- *Build customer confidence in our ability to respond to needs.
- *Develop and communicate strong Equal Exchange product knowledge (coffee, tea, etc.).
- *Problem solve with customers and team members.
- *Maintain accurate transaction notes and computer records for customers.
- *Process credit memos / call tags / UPS tracking.
- *Respond to general customer inquiries.
- *Flexibility in performing other tasks, such as packing and shipping, when necessary.
- *Participate in on-going training in products, systems and marketing; help train peers as needed.
Program Support/Education & Outreach (as determined with supervisor) (up to approx. 5%)
- *Support Customer Service Manager on systems and project work as assigned.
- *Represent Equal Exchange and Community Sales Program with congregations, at conferences and at other events.
- *Provide customers with the information and materials they need to represent the program and partner projects at events and gatherings.
Fair Trade & Worker Ownership Development (approx. 10%)
- *Participate in staff, department and educational (Exchange Time) meetings.
- *Understand our producer partners and trading policies and the Fair Trade movement.
- *Understand and participate effectively in our worker cooperative model.
- 1. How do you think U.S. consumers think about and understand Fair Trade? What should Equal Exchange’s role be in the current fair trade market?
- 2. A customer service representative’s goal is to help build our sales through growth of existing accounts. How would you go about reaching this goal? Why should we feel confident that you can reach this goal?
- 3. Define great customer service. What interests you most about this type of work?
Equal Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.