NCBA CLUSA's International Program is the oldest national cooperative development and membership organization in the US, founded in 1916, with close to 60 years of international experience developing agriculture and agribusiness, facilitating linkages for producers to markets, enhancing governance and strengthening farmer-owned enterprises in over 84 countries worldwide. NCBA CLUSA has worked in Africa continuously since 1977, managing programs that focus on increasing small farmers’ food security and income through improved farmer organization, agricultural productivity, business services, finance, market access; youth empowerment; democracy and governance; and the nutrition and health of vulnerable populations.
NCBA CLUSA Is now recruiting a Monitoring & Evaluation Director for a potential resilience and economic growth project in Burkina Faso and Niger that will build the resilience of the most vulnerable in Burkina Faso and Niger through increased sustained economic well being, strengthened institutions and governance, and improved health and nutrition. Please note, that this is a potential project and that no guaranteed position exists at this time.
GENERAL SCOPE: The M&E Director is responsible for developing and managing a results-oriented monitoring and evaluation system and for the collection, collation and analysis of the data collected for NCBA CLUSA’s proposed USAID-funded Project in Burkina Faso and Niger. This position will lead all M&E activities and will closely collaborate with all other partners involved. She/he will make operational decisions and manage the various components of the program dealing with M&E, will oversee data collection efforts and ensure both the PMP and results reporting meet the requirements of project. She/he will research, analyze, and synthesize information to make it understandable, accessible and useful to the donor, project partners, host-country collaborators, and project stakeholders. She/he will have a major focus on achieving results in all areas assuring that counterparts, as well as any subcontractors and sub-grantees are poised to deliver services on schedule. This position will be based in Burkina Faso or Niger with frequent travels between the two countries.
REPORTS TO: The M&E Director reports to the Chief of Party.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In coordination with the Chief of Party and technical specialists develop the project’s logical frameworks setting realistic and measurable targets, and realistic and measurable monitoring and evaluation plans;
- Design a Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP) by defining for each indicator, the unit of measurement, source of data, method of data collection, data collection responsibility, frequency of data collection and analysis, mode of verification and reliability level;
- Establish or modify a monitoring and evaluation system that tracks performance on a quarterly basis and is responsive to donor reporting requirements;
- Develop performance-monitoring indicators taking into consideration the USAID strategic objectives and intermediate results addressed in the project; USAID requirements; and best practices in similar projects;
- Refine and finalize performance-monitoring indicators after baseline data collection and analysis;
- Design data collection tools and schedule;
- Lead data collection, cleaning, and processing; prepare periodic survey reports, including baseline survey report, and other requested reports as required by COP and USAID;
- Assure data accuracy via site visits and data audits;
- Aggregate and format data for input into reports, presentations and success stories;
- Manage the reporting process including initial drafts, technical inputs, use of graphics and formatting;
- Coordinate and supervise implementation of the M&E plan by holding review and planning M&E meetings with relevant staff;
- Coordinate with USAID’s impact assessment team;
- Provide feedback and share experiences from database management with program stakeholders including field staff and program beneficiaries;
- Prepare specialized presentations of data requested, including graph, notes from the field, photos, press releases and other information packages.
Skills and Experience
- Masters Degree or equivalent in Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, International Development, or other related area of study or equivalent work experience; specialized training in M&E;
- Ten (10) years or more of progressively responsible work experience in managing the M&E needs of a complex and large donor-sponsored project;
- At least seven (7) years of experience of M&E work at the supervisory level;
- Demonstrated experience with research and data gathering and analysis tools;
- Knowledge of and experience with USAID indicators and M&E requirements, including experience in developing USAID-funded program M&E systems and PMPs and reporting; desired areas of specialization include Feed the Future, Democracy and Governance, and Health and Nutrition;
- Demonstrated good communication skills (spoken and written) in English and French;
- Strong leadership skills; ability to write effectively and present information in a variety of settings;
- Ability to work with people and support and train others.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a resume or CV, cover letter, and salary history to
with subject line “Monitoring and Evaluation Director – Burkina Faso and Niger". No phone calls, please. NCBA CLUSA has a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience.
NCBA CLUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.