Federation of Southern Cooperatives/Land Assistance Fund
The Federation of Southern Cooperatives/Land Assistance Fund is a 50 year old regional non-profit cooperative association of black farmers, landowners and cooperatives chartered to work throughout the Deep South; with an administrative office in the East point, Georgia, field offices in S.W. Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina and Louisiana; a Rural Training & Research Center in Alabama; and membership & networks also in North Carolina, Kentucky, Texas and other Southern states.
Job Title: Director of Cooperative Development & Strategic Initiativesgement Coordinator
Job Location: (city, state) East Point, GA
The Director of Cooperative Development & Strategic Initiatives performs a variety of administrative, technical and professional work in preparation and implementation of cooperative and community development plans, programs, services and key strategic/organizational initiatives as assigned by the Executive Director.
This full time position is responsible for working closely with the Executive Staff and Cooperative Development Specialists in promoting the cooperative economic development interests of the Federation’s membership and their communities as part of the Regional Cooperative Development Center. This position will include working with staff and partners in providing guidance to individuals and cooperatives to establish or expand their cooperative businesses within the community. The position will include assistance in the planning and coordination of domestic and international strategic initiatives and community development projects, assisting cooperative businesses and individual members and providing research for community development projects. This position is a direct report to the Executive Director.
- Directs cooperative economic development initiatives to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization as guided by the membership and strategic plan.
- Provides assistance in the development of cooperative economic and community development plans, as well as the gathering of information and preparation of studies, reports, and recommendations to achieve such goals.
- Provides professional cooperative economic development advice and serve as an advocate for cooperative economic development in line with the vision and mission of the organization.
- Lead selected programs, special projects and strategic initiatives that require cross-functional engagement with key staff across the organization and with external stakeholders as appropriate.
- Becomes familiar with the existing cooperative membership, facilities and business systems within the organization and related communities.
- Prepares grant proposals, applications and other necessary documents as may be required for necessary cooperative development services.
- Monitors legislation and regulations relating to cooperatives and cooperative development.
- Provide strategic support to the Executive Director for the convening of a range of meetings on strategic initiatives of importance to the membership and affiliate organizations. This may include undertaking research, tracking trends, preparing presentations; development of meeting agendas; drafting briefing papers and/or compiling pertinent background materials; preparing summaries of discussion; coordinating logistical arrangements; and ensuring appropriate and effective communications with stakeholders as needed.
- Serves as a member of various boards and committees, as assigned.
- Attends professional development workshops and conferences to keep abreast of trends and developments in the field of cooperative development, and to represent the interest of the Federation of Southern Cooperatives in the cooperative community and on matters related to cooperative economic development.
- Proactively identify and engage individual experts, as well as informational resources, that can help frame and advance work on key trends or emerging issues for the organization and its membership.
- Manage special programs and initiatives to assure compliance with terms of cooperative agreements and work plans.
- Assist in the development of work plans for cooperative development programs and strategic initiatives.
- Assist in developing funding proposals for technical assistance for cooperative and individual membership as well as affiliate organizations
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director. This might include brief assignments working closely with other state associations, individual and cooperative membership and affiliate organizations.
Perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of experience in cooperative, economic and/or community development, including administrative responsibility.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university, preferably with specialization in business, economic and community development or a related field; or any equivalent combination or experience and training.
- Considerable knowledge of cooperative/business, community and economic development. International experience and understanding a plus.
- Ability to establish working relationships with other organizations and economic development practitioners domestically and internationally.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated capacity to develop and implement practical strategies, plans, and solutions to identified issues and problems.
- Track record of taking initiative in managing competing organizational and departmental/program priorities and to work effectively under pressure when facing extremely short deadlines.
- Exceptional research, writing, analytical and organizational skills, and the ability to convey complex concepts in a clear, concise and logical manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively to groups, individuals and the general public.
- Good judgment, discretion, tact and the ability to work easily with senior leaders within the public and private sectors.
- Ability to prepare and analyze reports and data, and have skill in the operation of necessary tools and equipment, i.e. computer, word processing, spreadsheet software, and general office equipment.
- Ability to work independently and to undertake supervisory responsibilities as needed.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively, domestically and/or internationally for various periods of time.
Organization's Website: http://www.federationsoutherncoop.com/