The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the primary voice for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For over 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in 15 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the positon of Chief of Party (COP) for the remaining three years of the $12.9 million USDA-funded Coffee Rehabilitation and Agricultural Diversification Project based in San Salvador, El Salvador and possible commitment to follow on funding.
The primary objective of the project is to support targeted smallholder and medium farmers, as well as cooperative and producer organizations, to increase the productivity of the coffee value chain and expand the trade of agricultural products.
With the support of other management staff, the Chief of Party (COP) will have primary responsibility for the implementation and management of respective project/award. This position ensures that project is implemented with high quality in accordance with NCBA CLUSA’s international program management standards and with its technical approach and principles.
Essential Areas of Responsibility
- Ensure the project meets targets and donor agreement commitments, timely thorough reporting and adheres to budget discipline. Provide leadership and stakeholder engagement on the design and execution of annual work plans. Oversee project monitoring, analysis and evaluation.
- Serve as NCBA CLUSA’s main contact with USDA and as the primary representative in El Salvador to the larger community. Establish and maintain excellent working relationships with donors, government officials at all levels, the private sector, the project’s clients, suppliers, bi-lateral and multi-lateral agencies, and other rural and financial development practitioners.
- Manage internal controls, policies and procedures that are in-line with US Government, local government and NCBA CLUSA compliance regulations, including compliance with local labor and tax laws and NCBA CLUSA human resource policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with head office to recruit and promote capacity building of top professional talent. Provide leadership, advice, and mentoring of support staff and project partners.
- Support new business development by providing local perspective and ground-truth, technical support, staff & partner identification, and project design input.
- Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree required in Agribusiness, Economics, Business or related field; Master’s degree strongly preferred;
- Previous Chief of Party experience managing a large USG-funded project, or similar positions of senior leadership over complex projects with other organizations;
- Requires a minimum of twelve years of experience implementing US Government and/or other donor projects, preferably in the areas related to NCBA CLUSA’s core focus sectors: food security and agriculture, democracy and governance, natural resource management, cooperative development, and community-development;
- Experience managing project communications and compliance with NCBA CLUSA and donor regulations;
- Experience managing Finance and Grants related projects preferred;
- A minimum of six years of experience in international development; strong knowledge of local political institutions and culture;
- A sound understanding of the development, political, and business climate issues in Central America and especially El Salvador;
- Experience in Coffee Value Chains and/or Agricultural Trade is strongly preferred.
- Ability in Organizational Development, Institutional Capacity Building and Agribusiness Management and Marketing;
- Proven ability for strategic thinking and planning capacity to support five-to ten-year time organizational plans and trends in development initiatives;
- Ability to travel to project sites, throughout El Salvador and internationally;
- Proficiency in English and Spanish.
If interested in this position APPLY HERE. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
We recommend using either of these browsers when applying: Google Chrome or Firefox.
NCBA CLUSA brinda oportunidades de empleo sin discriminación y promoviendo la diversidad. Todas las personas que cumplan con las calificaciones requeridas son invitados a participar y serán considerados para el empleo sin distinción de raza, religión, género, nacionalidad, estado civil, discapacidad física, edad u otros factores no relacionados con el mérito.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.